A Biographical sketch is a portrait of the person you are writing about. The sketches are usually written by historians, biographers, memoirists or friends of the person.
A biographical sketch is a short biography of a person. Biographical sketches are written for school, business, or other personal uses.
The first thing to do when writing a biographical sketch is to find out the information about the person. If you are writing about someone who is still living it’s best to ask them for their autobiographical sketch which should be written in third person point of view. You can also find information by doing research online or at libraries.
Once you have the basic information then it’s time to start planning your biographical sketch. Remember that there are many different formats for biographies, but they all have an introduction, career timeline, and conclusion.
A Biographical sketch may be factual or fictionalized.
The length of a biographical sketch can vary but shorter sketches are easier to write and read.
There are many things that should be taken into consideration when writing a biographical sketch including:
- Purpose of the biographical sketch
- Audience for which it is written
- Detail to include in the painting
- Formatting style
Types of Biographical Sketches and Their Purpose
A biography is a full account of someone’s life. It can cover anything from their childhood, to what they did before they died, or even just their achievements in that profession. Biographical sketches are the opposite, because they cover just a small aspect of someone’s life.
Types of biographical sketches:
- Professional Sketches
- Family Sketches
- Historical Sketches
- Autobiography Sketches
The Importance of an Engaging & Informative Biographical Sketch
A bio written with the right tone and that is informative about who you are and what you do can be one of the most important components of your branding.
The audience will want to know more about you, if they’re unfamiliar with your work, and thus more inclined to engage with the content. They may also be interested in doing business with you or connecting on social media.
Tips on How to Write the Perfect Biographical Sketch
A biography is a detailed account of someone’s life.
The following are some tips on how to write the perfect biographical sketch:
- Write an outline. The outline should include information about your family, childhood, education, career, achievements and other noteworthy facts.
- Personalize the biography. It should sound like you are talking to the reader rather than just reading off a list of facts.
- Include photos or drawings if possible. They help illustrate your story and make it more interesting for your audience.
Resources for Creating and Writing Biographic Sketches
Biographical sketches are a great way to tell your life story, capture your personality, and highlight your experience.
A biographical sketch can be used for many purposes, including resumes, scholarship or fellowship applications, job applications, or for personal use.
Few tips to help you create a memorable and engaging sketch:
● Begin by writing about how you’ve grown up in the place where you live today.
● Share what school you went to and any extracurricular activities that were important for shaping the person you are today.
● Mention any work experience that has helped shaped who you are today.
● At the end of the biographical sketch include what your plans are for the future or other things that inspire you.